Stiff and sore neck? Learn how to relieve neck pain, the fast and easy way without the use of medication or additional equipment!
We have all used the expression like a “pain in the neck!” to refer to certain life circumstances when we have to deal with them. But, what if you actually mean that? Do you know how to relieve neck pain that is real instead of metaphoric?
Many of us struggle with neck pain due to a bad position during work, while we sleep, because of a workout routine, or simply because of a muscle spasm. When this happens, what we need is a neck pain treatment at home without the need to further move or stress ourselves. Sounds about right?
For these cases, using neck pain relief exercises is the best solution. Because they don’t require us leaving the comfort of our home, we don’t need additional equipment and it is a simple way to feel better and relieve that pressure.
Yes, learning how to relieve neck pain without medication can take some practice, but it is ideal to know these techniques for our own benefit.
It is estimated that at least one third of the population suffers from chronic neck or shoulder pain. That is a wide number of people! Now, what if you could start alleviating your symptoms before they worsen and become chronic?
Relying on a safe, easy neck pain treatment at home is convenient and it is something that you can do at the end of your day, and include it as part of your daily routine. Think of it as an addition to your decompressing ritual.
If you enjoy a hot shower after a long day, a warm bubble bath to put your feet up, or you are a fan of a massages, these neck pain relief exercises can be just the perfect complement:
- Myofascial Release: by massaging your neck and jaw line in a circular motion with the tip of your fingers and with just the right amount of pressure, you can reduce pain, stiffness and improve mobility.
- Neck Release: you can do this one on a seated position, or standing up if you want a full back exercise. Simply tilt your head to the right and apply gentle pressure with your left hand, ensuring a full stretch. Hold the position for 30 seconds and then switch sides. Do this 4 times for each side to release all the pressure and watch the pain disappear.
- Shoulder Scrunch: slowly rise your shoulders and move them in a circular motion from front to back, engaging your neck and upper back. After every 4 reps move your head from side to side, ensuring a good stretch of your neck muscles. Do this for about 5 minutes.
While these pain relief exercises are indeed good techniques to have in your book, how to relieve neck pain can also be something simpler if you so desire. Additional remedies include:
- Application of cold therapy for acute pain: compressing ice around your neck inside a towel or neck brace will reduce inflammation and alleviate aches. Repeat this for 15 minutes, each hour a period of 1 to 3 hours max.
- Heat therapy for chronic pain: microwaveable herbal bags, gel packs and neck braces are perfect for this type of remedy. Pop it in the microwave for 30 to 40 seconds (make sure is not too hot!) and apply it to your neck for 20 minutes 2 or 3 times per day.
If you are experiencing severe pain that does not seem to go away after several days or weeks after trying these remedies, the recommendation is to seek medication attention.
Sometimes the pain could be the result of an injury, and it is better to have expert advice in those cases. Your doctor may prescribe certain medications to eliminate the inflammation, and the use of a medical neck brace to repair any existent injury.
It is important to follow through your Doctor’s recommendations, and once your treatment is completed ask if its ok to include some of the above mentioned practices for your daily routine.