Training for and participating in fun runs and walks (usually a distance of five kilometers or approximately three miles) can be a great family fitness activity. Parents serve as good role models while kids learn that physical activity can be a fun and rewarding social outlet.
To keep it fun:
- Walk or run at your child’s pace — don’t worry about the time.
- Let your child take a walking break if he or she needs it.
- Start out slowly and remember that “easy does it.”
- Talk to your child throughout the run or walk and continually offer praise.
- Frequently ask your child questions like: How are your legs doing? How are you feeling? Is this pace right for you?
- Teach your child to save some energy for a “kick” when you cross the finish line.
- Give your child a big hug at the finish!