Which SPF is best? Finding the right one for your sun needs doesn’t have to be complicated if you keep in mind these simple guidelines.
Our skin is one of the hardest working organs in our entire system. For this reason alone we should provide it with the proper care and protection it deserves. Finding which SPF is best for your skincare routine is easier than you thought, especially with all the recent innovations in sun protection.
While not everyone knows the true SPF meaning, these three little letters stand for far more than just sun protection factor. SPF is an interesting way to measure the capacity of a sunscreen lotion to protect the user from damages caused by UVB rays from the sun.
In addition, the SPF meaning also envelops the range of protection a sunscreen can provide by taking into account changes in location, time of day and how the UV rays change throughout the passing hours.
Once you understand this SPF meaning, is easy to comprehend why it is so important in our care routine. Based on this, deciding which SPF is best will depend on which one offers the best type of protection for your skin.
Whether you are looking for a sunscreen for face or you are trying to find the best match for your whole body, there is an important issue to consider. SPF alone does not protect against UVA rays (long enough to reach the dermal layer on your skin).
For this reason, when researching which SPF is best you should always try to get an broad spectrum sunscreen option, since these protect against UVB and UVA rays.
If you are interested in finding a good and reliable sunscreen for face alone, there are certain things you may want to consider before you choose your match, among them being:
- Condition of your skin
- Whether or not you suffer from acne or certain allergies
- Your age and amount of daily exposure to sun light
- Whether or not you plan to use make-up afterwards
- If you prefer the usage of natural products
And these are just some of the characteristics you may want to pay attention to whenever you search for a sunscreen for face, for body or a multi-tasker that you can take on the go.
While there are many degrees of measures for SPF, from SPF15 to SPF100, dermatologists and skin experts alike recommend the usage of SPF30 for daily protection. These numbers refer to the percentage of protection a sunscreen can offer, being SPF30 the one that offers 97% of protection against UVB rays.
Something else to keep in mind, no matter the number, no sunscreen or sunblock protects 100% against the effects of UVB and UVA rays, and whatever option you choose, you must remember that it needs to be reapplied every 2 to 3 hours during sun exposure, especially if you work out, go swimming or sweat a lot.
Gone are the days where finding which SPF is best was purely based on whether or not they left you looking like a ghost, due to its chalkiness, thickness and heaviness on your skin. Now, and as mentioned above, there are a wide number of options to choose from, depending on your skin needs, desire and circumstance of use.
We have rounded up some of the most popular in the market and that offer just what you are looking for, and then some:
- The Multi-Tasker for Face & Body: Kiehl’s Activated Sun Protector Sunscreen Aqua Lotion for Face & Body Broad Spectrum SPF 30 which is a water-based option, extremely safe for those with oily and sensitive skin, and it is noncomedogenic, meaning it won’t clog your pores.
- The Water-Resistant: Coppertone Whipped Clear Sheer Sunscreen SPF 30 this ultra-sheer spray won’t leave a white cast after application, won’t clog your pores and does not leave a sticky residue.
- The Take on the Go: Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Eventone SPF 50 Suncare Stick it is tiny enough to fit in your pocket, but super powerful to protect you throughout the day. Remember to reapply and take advantage of its multiple hydrating ingredients.
- The One for Acne Prone Skin: PCA Skin Weightless Protection Broad Spectrum SPF 45 this option is super light and sheer, does not contain any irritants and it is designed to protect your skin from future breakouts.
- The Natural One: Mad Hippie Skin Care Products, Facial SPF, 30+ UVA/UVB Broad-Spectrum made without all the harsh chemicals that could irritate your skin, this one also comes packed with fruit and vegetable oils, vitamin C and E to help your skin restore and prevent signs of aging.