You too can enjoy a delicious and hearty meal! Learn more with our list of best foods for diabetics and indulge without the guilt.
When you are diagnosed with diabetes you are forced to change your habits and routine, including what your like to eat. However, limiting yourself is not really the answer, when there are so many great foods that are still healthy for you. We’ve compiled the best foods for diabetics and included a little extra, with the added benefits of oatmeal.
Especially with the cold weather, a warm and delicious bowl of homemade oatmeal can be the best comfort food you can have early in the morning. Now imagine adding a list of benefits to that… Intrigued?
That’s because oatmeal is one of the best food for diabetes control you can have – and actually enjoy! Oatmeal for diabetics can be prepared in a number of ways, adding delicious seasonal fruit, honey and nuts.
While it is highly important to watch your carb intake when you live with diabetics, oatmeal for diabetics offers a host of health benefits without compromising your health, as long as you keep your portions controlled.
As one of the best foods for diabetics, oatmeal has a very low glycemic index, making easier to maintain glucose levels. It is one of the best foods for diabetes control as it also promotes heart health, can lower your cholesterol, it’s high in fiber and it can help regulate your digestion.
And these are just a few of the many benefits of oatmeal for diabetics. But, aside form this delicious grain, there are many other products you can enjoy while taking care of your health.
Some of the best food for diabetes control are not only of easy access, common in every household or easy to prepare amazing dishes with… But, they are actually pretty tasty.
We’ve selected a few of our favorites just so you can have an idea:
- Citrus Fruits
- Green Tea
- Spinach, Kale and Collard Greens
- Dark Chocolate (yes!)
- Lean Steak
- Sweet Potato
- Lean Chicken
- Wilde Rice
And while these are just a few examples of the best foods for diabetes control available and that you can start adding to your diet, we’ve also gathered some of the best foods for diabetics that won’t put you in the edge.
Especially with the holidays around us, you sill want to indulge and enjoy. With these delicious foods and meals you will feel the party spirit too!
- Hummus: this delicious Lebanese spread can be the perfect snack or a side dish at a dinner party. With chickpeas and garlic as base and main ingredients, it’s a plate that you can enjoy without worrying.
- Berries Parfait: who doesn’t love a quick and sweet afternoon pick-me-up ? Frozen berries are added to a blender with a touch of mint and honey, for the perfect swirl of fruity and sweet.
- Tuna Fish: just like salmon, tuna has all the healthy fats and protein that you may need on one serving. Pair it with your favorite lean crackers for a crunchy touch.
- Edamame: this tasty and quick legume has an unique nutritional profile, that makes it one of the best superfoods you can ingest. It has a staggering amount of fiber, helps reduce the risk of heart disease, regulates blood sugar levels and its a good plant-based source of protein.
- Shirataki Noodles: think of it, as a healthier (maybe even tastier ?) take on pasta. These are made form yam flour and are a super low-carb, low-calorie option for a hearty, delicious meal.
- Bean Salad: beans are an excellent source of fiber, calcium and minerals. But, they are also rich in taste and with such a wide variety, you won’t easily get bored. Try mixing a few of your favorites with a dash of extra virgin olive oil, a sprinkle of sea salt and lime to taste for a refreshing and easy snack.