Wondering how to lose weight with diabetes Type 1? Learn more at www.BetterHealthKare.com
Weight loss and diet are hot topics in the diabetes community. For some people with the disease, weight gain can occur when on insulin therapy. This brings forth the common search for weight loss tips for diabetics. Losing weight has numerous health benefits regardless if someone has an illness or not. But for someone with diabetes, it can offer one very important benefit – better control over one’s blood sugar levels. And, according to recent studies, someone who is overweight or obese has a higher risk of developing Type 2 diabetes, highlighting the importance of weight for those who do not have the illness, or are pre-diabetic.
So how can someone concerned with diabetic weight loss shed extra pounds? Here are 6 top weight loss tips for diabetics from BetterHealthKare:
- Don’t skimp on breakfast – There is a reason breakfast is often called the most important meal of the day. Eating breakfast can prevent you from eating in excess later in the day and is considered one of the most efficient practices in a health diabetes diet. Choose a nutritious morning time meal such as hard-boiled eggs, or oatmeal topped with nuts.
- Fight the urge to sit down – Physical activity has long been revered as one of the best ways to lose weight and keep it off. Many research studies have concluded that diet alone that not decrease body fat amounts as much as people who combined diet with exercise. Activity as simple as walking for 30 minutes at a time several days a week is ideal. If you aren’t able to hit the 30-minute mark right off the bat, start slowly in spurts of five to ten minutes. Using free weights, doing leg lifts, or squats while watching TV rather than sitting is another great option.
- Increase meals – Believe it or not, eating more frequent, smaller meals throughout the day can not only help with weight loss and boosting your metabolism, but it can also decrease blood sugar levels spikes. Consider four to five smaller meals throughout the day rather than two to three large meals with snacks in between.
- Keep yourself occupied – For some people, eating is a habit that was born out of boredom. If you find yourself idle, you may tend to pick on foods even when you really aren’t hungry. Find an activity you enjoy – it could be writing, reading, sewing, gardening, fishing, or volunteering. You will find you eat less the busier you are!
- Find support – Motivation is key when it comes to losing weight and sticking to an exercise plan. Find a workout or walking buddy, or team up with a weight loss support group in your area. Connecting with people on a similar journey as you is a great way to stay encouraged. You can even research weight loss programs such as Jenny Craig or Weight Watchers, if you are someone who prefers an outlined protocol to follow.
- Don’t forget fiber – Fiber is crucial for those wondering how to lose weight with diabetes Type 1 and 2. Ramping up your fiber intake can also help lower blood glucose numbers and decrease body fat amounts. You can add fiber by eating foods such as beans, vegetables, fruits, seeds, whole grains products and nuts.
There are just a few of the weight loss tips for diabetics you can try. Because exercise is a key element in losing weight, check out these exercise options for diabetics. You can also learn more about diet and how to better manage the disease at www.BetterHealthKare.com